This Event is Being Rescheduled
Out of concern for the safety of our guests from Tangier Island and coastal southeast Virginia during the predicted tropical storm conditions this Thursday, we have decided to reschedule Virginia Humanities’ Tastes and Tales from Tangier event.
Please stay tuned for details on the new date. All tickets will be honored. If you cannot attend at the rescheduled time, please contact us for a refund when the date is announced.
We are grateful for the enthusiastic support we’ve received for this program from partners, sponsors, and ticket buyers and wish you all safe passage through this storm.
Explore the compelling stories, environmental challenges, and cultural traditions of one of Virginia’s—and the world’s—most unique places, Tangier Island. Join us and the Hermitage Museum & Gardens for a two-hour, ticketed event featuring:
- Special guest Earl Swift, author of Chesapeake Requiem and Virginia Humanities Fellow, sharing stories from his latest work
- Sarah McConnell, host of Virginia Humanities’ With Good Reason radio program, in conversation with Swift; Tangier Mayor and crabber James “Ooker” Eskridge; Hampton Roads Director of the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, Christy Everett; and photographer and Tangier native Cameron Evans, a sophomore at Virginia Wesleyan University
- Chesapeake Bay food demonstrations and tasting featuring Tangier Island crab and Smith Island Cake
- Oyster-shucking showdown between international champions (and sisters) Deborah Pratt and Clementine Macon Boyd
- Encyclopedia Virginia’s virtual tour of Tangier Island and Google virtual reality cardboard headset giveaway
- Live music from the region coordinated by the Virginia Folklife Program and the chance to purchase Swift’s books from Prince Books
Doors open at 5:30 PM for mingling and bar sales. The program will begin promptly at 6:00 PM.
Support Provided By
Joan P. Brock
Dee Roberts and Harry Lester
Susan and Norman Colpitts
Jo Ann and Buzzy Hofheimer
Marcy and Hunter Sims
Clay Barr and Lauren Barros-Barr’s Missions Possible
Kirkland Kelley and Hank Luhring
Virginia Beach Friends of Virginia Humanities
SL Nusbaum Realty Company & SL Nusbaum Insurance Agency
The Nicholson Companies