We are planning two summer institutes for up to sixty teachers, selected from the six designated communities, that will result in narrative-changing, community-specific lesson plans for K-12 students.
The first institute takes place June 2018. Details about the second institute will be posted here when available.
Summer 2018 Teacher Institute
Mon., June 18 – Wed., June 20, 2018 in Charlottesville
Forty-one public school teachers, librarians, and instructional coaches for grades 3-12 in Arlington, Charlottesville, Harrisonburg, Norfolk, Richmond, and Roanoke school districts will participate in our first teachers institute. All costs of attending (travel, hotel, and meals) will be covered by Virginia Humanities, thanks to the support of the W. K. Kellogg Foundation.
- Participate in a transformative Racial Healing Circle
- Receive training in educational technology, Google Expeditions
- Learn to develop storytelling podcasts with your students
- Collaborate with other educators creating practical hands-on lesson plans
- Learn to work with your students connecting local histories and personal stories & to tell broader narratives on race and place.