Associate Producer, BackStory
BackStory, the American History Podcast, is celebrating 10 years of telling compelling stories about U.S. History at Virginia Humanities. This is a rare opportunity to join the BackStory production team as Associate Producer, working on the weekly podcast, devising innovative and exciting ideas for shows and segments.
Virginia Humanities offers a dynamic work environment headquartered at the University of Virginia, and a wide array of programming: the Virginia Festival of the Book, the radio show With Good Reason, the online Encyclopedia Virginia, Residential Fellowships, and other programs.
The associate producer reports to the Senior Producer and will pitch show and segment ideas, pre-interview guests, help devise the shape of shows and show elements, and edit interviews to broadcast standard.
A Bachelor’s Degree in American History or Journalism is required, a Master’s is preferred. Candidates must be talented and experienced audio listeners, editors and writers, with experience of translating complex ideas into radio segments and programs that are accessible to a large, general audience. Candidates must also have experience working in a team environment. Work on regional/national radio shows or with stations in major markets is preferred. Experience in American History and expertise implementing audio media into classrooms is preferred.
Candidates are required to possess
- The ability to distill and present high-level concepts for a general audience.
- The ability to engage intellectually challenging content under tight deadlines in a team setting.
- Excellent research, writing, conceptual, organizational, and creative abilities with high-level skills in audio production.
- A thorough knowledge of radio production and technologies.
- Interest in current events, and feel comfortable engaging high-level humanities scholars and scholarship.
Candidates are also required to possess experience with Pro Tools or comparable editing/production software.
Virginia Foundation for the Humanities is affiliated with the University of Virginia, an equal opportunity employer. Apply through [email protected] with cover letter, resume, and three recommendations.